Saturday, April 7, 2012
National Running Day is June 1
Wednesday, June 1, 2012 is National Running Day.
The sport of running continues to grow in popularity in the United States. Most people run to stay healthy, relieve stress, and have fun. There are nearly 43 million runners in the United States. More than 5 million Americans completed a half marathon in the last five years. More than 500,000 Americans completed a marathon last year.
The National Running Day Website has 10 tips for beginners:
1) Focus on your feet: you need a decent pair of running shoes
2) Start small: be realistic in your running goals
3) Find a running buddy: friends can help you make running a habit
4) Diversify your portfolio: cross train!
5) Listen to your body: keep an eye on old injuries, avoid new flare-ups
6) Join the club: find a running group
7) Make a plan: choose a personal goal
8) Take notes: keep a running journal, you'll be surprised how often you refer to it
9) Celebrate milestones: don't be shy to share your first
10) Remember to stretch: pre- and post-run stretching helps recovery